Sunday, February 8, 2015

Strength in Blurry Scenery

It's okay if you haven't joined me in memorizing the lyrics of this hymn.

I mean, I won't unsubscribe you.

Actually I'm enjoying the process enough to count for at least five readers.

I've been noticing some things.


Each verse has its own topic and tone.
They contribute to the overall flow and feel.
As I learn the words the beauty of the hymn blooms.

I notice the strength of the hymn more and more as I sing it in the midst.

In the midst of thinking about the One who speaks to me through it.
In the midst of my love for my growing family.
                    of caring for my sick husband.
                    of preparing my house for guests.
                    of my wonderings about the future.
                    of my concern for my friends.
                          fill in the blank for yourself      

Are you gaining strength in the midst of your own blurry scenery?

I must tell you that this verse may be my favorite.
I've noticed it's not sung very much these days.
I hear that's because some words are confusing.
I pray that won't keep you from being as encouraged as I am.

verse 5
Even down to old age all My people shall prove
My sovereign, eternal, unchangeable love;

I am granted a duty to perform even as I mature.
Not perhaps or might, I shall verify God's testimony.
I am a witness to His absolute, abiding, unalterable love.


And when hoary* hairs shall their temples adorn,
Like lambs they shall still in My bosom be borne.

It's natural for gray hairs to embellish my head
God continues to tend me as a Shepherd His flock.
Not perhaps or might, He shall bear me in His bosom always, no matter what, in spite of anything I might say or do, I will still be wrapped in His embrace.

How biblical is the hymn's message? 

"Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you."  Isaiah 46:4

You too will sprout gray hairs one day, if you haven't already.
No need to worry, whether you have or will.
God's promise to hold us is for all those He calls My People.

Can you guess why this may be my favorite verse?

'How Firm a Foundation' was written in 1787 by John Rippon.
I pray having the tune here is as much a help to you as it is to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment