Monday, April 27, 2015

Sparrow Quest Continues

His Eye is On The Sparrow is a traditional African-American worship song written in 1905 by two white songwriters, Civilla Martin and Charles Gabriel. Ethel Waters may be the actress-singer who captured its meaning most eloquently.  (see below)

The second verse is particularly meaningful to me with so many challenges and changes flying into my life without warning, and me barely able to catch my breath.


Let not your heart be troubled; His tender words I hear; 

And resting on His goodness I lose my doubts and fears; 
Though by the path He leadeth but one step I may see; 
          Thankfully the Father is not surprised that I'm plagued by fear.
          Thankfully Jesus knows what this fallen world is like.
          Thankfully Holy Spirit is my indwelling power.
         
"So do not fear, for I am with you; 
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.

I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  
Isaiah 41:10

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


I am secure in the Father's care not
because I am deserving in any way, 
but
because He made me and He sets my value.

       Hallelujah


"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

Matthew 10:29


I sing because I’m happy, 
I sing because I’m free, 
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I [Jesus] have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  John 10:11

"To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, 'If you hold to my teachings, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'"  John 8:31

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."  John 8:36

No comments:

Post a Comment