Thursday, November 22, 2012

Frozen Thanks-giving

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  1 Thessalonians 5:18


I'm finding it pretty easy to be in a thankful mood today. My daughter bought me a pint of my very favorite ice cream to eat all by myself. It's a treat I haven't enjoyed for over a year. As you can see from the photo it's already half gone and I'm going to swallow the rest as soon as this blog is done. So this will be brief.

Besides enjoying my surprise, I am enveloped in the blessings of our family dinner table. Thanks-giving is my favorite holiday. The opportunity to tell each other the things for which we are thankful is an annual event that warms my heart. This year though my Honey isn't by my side so the joy is tempered.

You see, I'm in the USA and he's still at home in Prague.

There's another detail that's sobering my thoughts. It's the ads I've seen about extending Black Friday sales into Thanks-giving evening. I've been convicted recently about my less-than-ideal level of gratitude for all the blessings God pours down on me. The increased pressure to buy more is not a welcome visitor to my holiday.

I'm working hard to clarify the difference between the desire and the need categories. Cherry Garcia definitely qualifies as a desire rather than a need. As a matter of fact, I've been noticing that there are a lot of things around here that sit fully inside the desire category. My passport country seems to have a lot more enticement to confuse the two than my host country.

I'm thankful to be here for now because that's God's directions. I'll be thankful when I go home for the same reason. How about you? Are you thankful where you are? Tell me why.

Father, I'm grateful that you moved us to Prague. Please get me back to my Honey right on time. Thank you, in Jesus' Name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment