Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sanctification by Wax-i-dent

Gee Whizz!!

It's a small thing, I suppose, 
. . . in light of the issues of life,

. . . but it's my only tablecloth. 

He didn't mean it. He's only 8.

He got hot wax on his face.

I turned my attention toward my careless young friend. 
I called out to his mom and she tended him immediately. 
Thankfully the only remaining result was injury to his pride. 

Our visit ended and I looked at my poor wax-stained tablecloth. 

What now, LORD?

Directions found on the internet:     
Four days in the freezer. Scrape off the excess wax. 
Place absorbent paper above and below. 
Press with a warm iron. Spray. Wash.

I pause at the ironing board forcing myself to be attentive.

In addition to my cleaning efforts, I work to keep a God-pleasing attitude.

Hmmm  You know, my life is kinda like this tablecloth . . . marred by sin.

I don't usually aim to make a mess of things. Sometimes, like my young friend, I don't think. I get caught up in the moment and unexpected consequences appear. 

Other times, I choose to ignore the warning notes that play in my head and heart. I'm not sure why I get surprised when those 'stains' become apparent.

WOW, look at that!  

I lift the iron off the first area and the wax is gone. The cloth looks like new.

It's as if the accident never happened. 

This is gonna be okay after all.

As I continue to work on the tablecloth I think about my own life. 

It takes real effort and prayerful focus to clean up the sin messes I make.
It feels like scraping of wax when I have to confess and ask forgiveness.
I know I need to be more diligent to look for and follow God's directions.
I'm grateful for God's refining heat and pressing attention that tend me.
It's a relief to know Christ's sacrifice draws out every sinful stain.

Gee Whizz!!     What now, LORD?
WOW, look at that!     This is gonna be okay after all.


"Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
To God’s elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus,Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance."  1 Peter 1:1,2

No comments:

Post a Comment