Monday, March 18, 2013

David . . . perfect?

I started reading Psalm 26 for my morning devotions and stopped to compare David's life with his opinion of himself.

"Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have led a blameless life;
I have trusted in the LORD without wavering.
Test me, O LORD, and try me,
examine my heart and my mind;
for your love is ever before me,
and I walk continually in your truth."  verses 1,2

My mind chewed on the seeming contradictions.

BlameLESS? NEVER wavered?

ALWAYS mindful of God's love?
Walked CONTINUALLY in God's truth?

My mind rang with 'Who did David think he was?' 

I read on.

"I wash my hands in innocence, and go about your altar, O LORDproclaiming aloud your praise and telling of all your wonderful deeds.I love the house where you live, O LORD, the place where your glory dwells."  verses 6-8

Ah ha, now I understand. David knew he was stained with sin. 

That's why he had to go to the temple to follow the Old Testament standards for purification and restoration; a blood sacrifice according to God's precepts. Once he was ceremonially cleansed David praised God and declared his great love for His Deliverer and the place that His glory inhabits.

It is on this basis that David rejoices in the expectation that he will reside in God's presence.

"My feet stand on level ground; in the great assembly I will praise the LORD." verse 12

Hallelujah! I don't have to be perfect either.

The New Testament brings the Gospel news. 

I approach the Father with clean hands through the righteousness of Christ; His sinless life applied to my account through the shedding of His blood on Calvary and the ascending of His resurrected body to the Father's right hand.

It is on this basis that I come into His presence now and expect to dwell with Him eternally.

Thank You, God. Your Word is beautiful in its clarity and completeness, its thoroughness and consistency, its wisdom and power. Thank You for giving Your people the gift of understanding and assurance according to Your promises. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment