Thursday, March 21, 2013

Run of the mill?


I'm guessing these kinds of things happen to other ladies. Well, maybe men experience them too. I can only speak for myself, but I hope I'm not alone.

It was a better than normal day that went up hill. 

The Holy Spirit blessed me with inspiration for dinner and the music my Honey chose was superb. The meal was bathed in candle light and, dare I say, romance reigned. 

The atmosphere continued through clean up and meaningful conversation. I recognized it as one of those isolated and delightful evenings that I wish would last forever. It was a sure set up for physical intimacy.

I was the first to slip into bed, snuggling in with joy and expectation.

My Honey appeared, leaned down to kiss me knowingly, and then straightened up.

"I need to tell you this," were the opening words he delivered with warm sincerity.

I locked my loving eyes on his face as I prepared to hear his heart.

"Dinner tonight was really delicious, extra special."

I was warmed by his thoughtful appreciation, a rare bit of sweet talk.

(NB  My Honey is a wonderful man, but we've been married nearly 45 years and there's a lot that gets communicated without words.)

He continued with my enthralled attention.

"You know, your cooking used to be run of the mill, but tonight's meal was outstanding."

Gulp!

I did my best to keep a straight face. I really did. Honest!

He finished everything he wanted to say and kept his passion-filled eyes fixed on me.

I exerted every ounce of self-control I could find and said, "Thank you, Honey."

. . .

He must have detected a small crack in my facade. 

He got a quizzical look on his face and flatly said, "What."

I couldn't sustain the act and giggled out, "Run of the mill? Run of the mill? That's how you described my cooking. Run of the mill."

What followed were choppy, mostly humorous attempts to smooth over the breach. Mutual merriment filled the entire interchange. Guffaws outdid belly laughs.

Thankfully the mood wasn't lost completely.   [wink, wink]

I rejoice that God inserted our funny bones in just the right place. 

"The ransomed of the LORD will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away."  Isaiah 51:11

2 comments:

  1. LOL - I really did laugh out loud! Still am chuckling. I like to remind my kids that "Love is not easily offended", but that is something we wives could learn as well. Yay for laughter, and truth, and communication winning instead of pride, silent treatment and bitterness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Fia. It's great to share these times of victory.

    ReplyDelete