Monday, June 10, 2013

A Week's Worth of Encouragement


I usually focus on Scripture for my Monday morning blogs. This week I'm so far behind that I'm writing this in the afternoon hoping to post it before the day ends. 

And I have to confess my time in the Word has been so limited that I'm looking in other directions for my topic. God reached down and pulled me up out of my quandry.

Instead of trying to be eloquent beyond my abilities, I'll simply share how the Father has been erasing the discouragement and loneliness; the trouble, doubts and fears; the temptation, sighing and loss of hope I've been facing. I've got an idea that the subtle yet powerful way He's meeting my needs might just meet your needs too.

Miss Mae, our 11 year old granddaughter, shared her favorite hymn from last Sunday night's service with me. It's one of my favorites too so I suggested we memorize it together. I printed two copies of the lyrics with the title, authorship, and a bit of history at the top of the page. 

The challenge was to learn the hymn on our own and sing it for each other when we were ready. A much better plan developed last week when we were riding home from ballet class. Miss Mae became the tutor as she read the lyrics and I did my best to follow along as I drove. 

Our duet to the accompaniment of laughter and giggles was a little 'iffy', and the story about how we missed a turn and took an hour to get home will be shared another day. The really important detail you need to know is that we learned the first two verses.

Actually Miss Mae did a bit of improvising with the lyrics as she cheered us on in the midst of our rather lengthy detour.

"Why should we feel discouraged, when we can't find our way.
Why should we think we're lost, when we're sure to get home today?"

As God would have it . . . 

on this Monday morning 

when there's so much behind me 

and so much ahead,

and I wonder if He even knows 

how confused and adrift I feel,

I was reminded of the chat we had about sparrows

I explained to Miss Mae that God's Word tells us He never forgets even one of these plain little, common birds that rarely get mentioned on any bird watcher's Life List. Rather, God oversees every aspect of the life of each sparrow with tender loving care. Together we considered how much more He must carefully watch over us.  Matthew 10:29-31 and Luke 12:6-7

Once again the tune came to mind and the lyrics poured through my heart. I offer them to you. As you read through them I pray the LORD will encourage your heart for the long week ahead. Amen

His Eye Is On the Sparrow 
words by Civilla Martin, music by Charles Gabriel - 1905

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me. 

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment