Thursday, June 13, 2013

Ways to Make it to the Weekend


One of the benefits of having gaps in visiting family and friends is that the changes that have happened since we saw them last jump out at us.

BigGame now bats powerfully both leftie and rightie.

Miss Mae dances with obviously greater confidence.

Champ is pretty much taller than everybody else in the family.



It seems there are endless opportunities to measure growth and development - physically, emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, . . .

I was considering some of the newness we've been enjoying on this trip when I turned the focus inward. 

How have I changed? 

What does God see?

Am I measuring up?

At times like this, when I'm looking into a spiritual mirror, I start to shudder.

First the reality of who God is strikes me. He's holy and just, perfect and powerful, . . . I can't imagine being allowed anywhere near Him.

Then the standards set in His Word come to mind. I become fully aware that I'm not even close to meeting any of them.

I begin to feel overwhelmed by the weak performance I'm offering in the sanctification department.

On low days I tend to beat myself up over my continuing shortfalls.

On better days I head back up to my first step and slip quietly into the presence of the One who knows me better than I know myself.  Psalm 139:13-16

I am uplifted as I remember the grace and mercy that indwells and overflows from God's character and presence.  Ephesians 2:1-10; Deuteronomy 4:31

I gain confidence as I share my struggles in the light of His promises.  Psalm 46; Hebrews 4:14-16; Matthew 11:28-30; 1 John 1:8,9

In the end, I am revitalized by the Truth that God is The LORD. He is the One who is orchestrating my present and my future . . . FOR MY GOOD.  Jeremiah 29:11; Romans 8:28-39

The Real Reality that God is God and I am His calms my soul. 

The yard sticks of the world, even those of my own devising, fade into the background. The loving, powerful hand of my Father scoops me up and sets me on my feet. I'm at peace and ready to step back into the fray.

Where are you today? 

If you sense you're not measuring up, let me encourage you to spend some personal time with the Master and Lover of your soul. You could begin by reviewing the Scriptures included here. 

May His peace and joy abound to you. Amen

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post again. I love your emphasis on the Word! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Lou Ann. God uses His Word to anchor my feet and free my soul. What better to emphasize? :-D

    ReplyDelete