Sunday, March 9, 2014

Roadway Insights

There we were traveling along Route 91 North when we saw a collection of tail lights.

We were already behind schedule and our friends were expecting us for lunch. 

I thought, "What now?"

We spent a few minutes of stop and go trying to figure out how serious the delay might be and whether or not we should try to find an alternate route. 

Some of the truckers seemed to be sticking with the slow flow while others were opting out and taking an exit. What should we do?

I finally called our friends to let them know we were stuck and would probably be late. Thankfully they knew right where we were and offered us some knowledgeable directions.

PHEW!

Once we had some relevant information and decided to stick with Route 91 North my mind began reviewing the event.

You know driving along a highway is a lot like life. 

I can be flying along in my day enjoying the scenery when all of a sudden the situation changes. It could be that there are obstacles in my path or that I'm not sure what I should do next.

     Do I wait out the interruption or delay?

     Should I look for a way around the roadblock?

     If I'm moving forward, am I going the right way?

     Am I pushing too hard or being lazy?

HAH  As far as the car ride went, we discovered the problem.

The poor circulation of traffic was caused only in part by a poorly laid out route interchange as our friends thought. There was an added bonus. A crew of workers was painting white lane markers on a section of roadway that was being resurfaced - big trucks, orange cones, lots of men in orange vests in all but one lane for each new route. 

I saw the whole experience as a real life illustration of how often outside circumstances are merely window dressing or distractions from what's really happening. 

No matter what the world around me is trying to get me to believe, the Truth is that the Sovereign Lord of heaven and earth has me on the path He has laid out specifically for me. 

     Nothing . . . no thing . . . can interrupt or delay His will.

     If I need to take a detour, He'll show me and take me there.

     He always leads me in the way I should go.

     He regulates my progress according to His timetable.

Hallelujah.

The traffic backup eventually cleared out and we arrived only about 20 minutes later than planned. Our reunion over lunch with long-time, dear friends was rich in godly fellowship. We rejoiced together over our Father's goodness to us through the years, grateful for His faithfulness. 

Hmmmm, I'm thinking heaven will be a lot like that. 

I'm rejoicing that I'm on the path that leads in that direction.  How about you?

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze."  Isaiah 64:4

PS  Traffic jams are another reason we prefer our life in Prague. We never have to drive in them.   :-D


No comments:

Post a Comment