Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sleepless in New Boston

I am relieved to report that I'm making progress in the mobility department. An interesting aspect of my recovery is something I hadn't even considered.

For more than six months I have closed my eyes for only a few short hours a night, often broken up by periods of wakefulness. 

While I knew that I was tired a lot of the time, I didn't think much beyond that vague awareness. Why would I? With everything going on around me it made sense that I would have some trouble sleeping.

As I discovered with a little bit of research, the negative results of sleep deprivation range from skin problems and weight gain to mental weakness and cardiac issues. 

WebMD says that "lack of proper sleep" can be the cause of back discomfort in some cases. 

The National Sleep Foundation defines a healthy night's sleep for an adult as seven to nine hours. Since I still can't claim anything close to that amount of sleep on a regular basis I guess I'm running some pretty serious risks. It's obviously a dynamic I need to address.

But that's not the whole story.

Sleep is valuable and all, but sleep is really only one small portion of the whole human need for rest. 

Rest is not just about sleep.

Rest is about being awake and peaceful.

Rest is about stepping back from the crush of life.

Rest is about letting go the reins of control we think we hold.

Rest is about being able to trust every detail of our existence to another, knowing they will oversee each breath for my benefit. 

I know only one place where true rest can be found.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28

I know only one way to enjoy true rest.

"Stand at the crossroads and look;
ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
and you will find rest for your souls."  Jeremiah 6:16

How are you doing today?

What's your sleep quotient?

More importantly, what's your rest level?

No comments:

Post a Comment