Sunday, October 12, 2014

Chickens Cross Roads

In my last post I announced that I'm a chicken. It was merely the truth of my life in Christ; an insecure little chick shivering under His feathery-soft and steely-strong wings. 

Well, that poor little chick woke up in the middle of the night last night and couldn't fall back to sleep. The various issues, tasks, and concerns that fill my days looped through my brain - packing today to visit with friends in another state, preparations for a retreat next weekend, the upcoming furnace replacement, relationship struggles, a new roof, our financial crunch, pulling the boats and dock in from the lake, the removal of several old pine trees too close to the house, . . .

You get the picture.

And on top of all of that, my Honey and I are locked into the search to discover what God has for us in the next phase of our lives. He brought us back from the European life we were loving in Prague. We lived out of suitcases for seven months while we tended my Honey's life-threatening health issues. My mobility problems received attention, and I travelled and spoke in a few venues. Finally in July we got a new well set for water so we could return to our Maine house. 

Where to from here? That is the question.

Our desire is to return to Europe, but does our Lord want us to stay here? We want to continue to provide encouragement to families, but does He have a different plan? We know that it makes no sense to move forward until we have some sense of His leading. "Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain."  Psalm 27:1   

I repeated my petition to the One who knows all things. 

Dear Father, please grant insight into Your will for me ... for us. I love You and want to honor You with my whole life. I am anxious to bring glory to Your Name through the way You've made me, and are nurturing and discipling me. I look forward to the close fellowship I will have with You in heaven and want to prepare for it by growing closer to you and pleasing you here and now. Dear Abba, I live in the fallen world where You've placed me. I often feel nearly consumed by the pressures and peril. I believe You are all-sufficient for me to rest in peace and confidence as I make my way. Please show me what and how. Amen

And in the quiet of our inky-dark bedroom the Spirit approached. My mind began to whirr with ideas. My thoughts went back over some material I'd read. My view slowly became more clear as when the headlights of a car illuminate the next few feet. I got up and jotted a few notes, smiling in gratitude at the hint of a path.

Then fear struck.

How will you accomplish it? You have no understanding of all of that.
Who's going to want to hear what you have to say? After all, you've got gray hair.
What makes you think you'll be successful? You've been playing with this for years.
ETC.

I admit I panicked for a few minutes as I sat in my little chick self. 

Then it dawned on me. I wasn't alone. The future isn't something I orchestrate by myself. There's a plan for me and the One who set is calling me to follow Him. And my Captain promises to be with me always. He repeats His marching orders again and again to inspire me to 'cross the road'.

"Be strong and courageous.  Deuteronomy 31:6, 31:7, 31:23; Joshua 1:6, 1:9, 10:25; 1 Chronicles 22:13; 2 Chronicles 32:7

"Be strong and very courageous."  Joshua 1:7

"Only be strong and courageous."  Joshua 1:18

"Be strong and courageous, and do the work."  1 Chronicles 28:20

I have no doubt the road will be bumpy with wins and losses. But I'm committed to build an authentic life of fulfillment. 

And I think I'll take you, my Faithful Readers, along with me.

How about you? Care to share the pressure point where you need to be brave? I'll be privileged to pray with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment