Sunday, December 21, 2014

ONLY FOUR MORE DAYS

Too much to do, not enough time.

Too much to buy, not enough money.

Too much to wrap, not enough energy.

Too much to prepare, not enough motivation.

And the week-before-Christmas list goes on.

What are your prevailing thoughts these days? Are you telling the LORD about your need for more time, money, energy, motivation, and more? 

BE ALERT. 

Demanding days can lead to a demanding heart.

God does call us to bring our burdens to Him. 

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. ... I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  Matthew 11:28-29

But we need to be careful not to allow cares to turn into complaining. 

"Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused."  Numbers 11:1

I don't know about you, but I do not want to be under God's wrath. 

In order to avoid complaining I need to know what it is and what it isn't.

Complaining is when we ...

*undervalue God's favor by adding a 'but' to His mercy.
     "Lord, the manna was nice, but now we want meat."

*set a criteria for happiness based on dissatisfaction.
     "Life would be wonderful if only we had what we want to eat." 

*question whether God can't or won't meet our needs.
     "Meat for a month? There aren't enough flocks or herds."

These responses spring from unhappy hearts. Such a basic attitude of discontent will find something to complain about no matter what. And though we may couch it in pleasant sounding ways, God knows and hears the condition of our hearts.

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."  Hebrews 4:13

I, for sure, want to be able to cry out to God without complaining.

Crying out is when we ...

*approach the Father with humility through Christ.
     "This is what the LORD says: ... 'This is the one I esteem; 
     he who is humble and contrite in spirit
     and trembles at my word.'"  Isaiah 66:1a,2b

     "In him [Christ Jesus] and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence."  Ephesians 3:12

     "Therefore he [Jesus] is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them."  
Hebrews 7:25

*bring a just cause for attention with a grateful heart.
     "Your compassion is great, O LORD;
     preserve my life according to your laws. ...
     May my cry come before you, O LORD;
     give me understanding according to your word.
     May my supplication come before you;
     deliver me according to your promise."  Psalm 119:156,169-170

*seek mercy and assistance rather than what has not been allotted.
     "Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love, 
      for they are from of old.
      Remember not the sins of my youth 
      and all my rebellious ways;
      according to your love remember me, 
      for you are good, O LORD."  Psalm 26:6-7

By walking in these ways I expect to avoid the shame of murmuring against God and, instead, bring honor to His glorious Name. Amen

Where are you relative to the continuum from crying out and complaining?
Could you, like me, need to re-fasten your attitude of gratitude in place?
Let's present ourselves to the great I AM for a systems check.

"And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."  
Matthew 6:13

No comments:

Post a Comment