Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Light & Life



This is our official Christmas tree for 2012. It's 13 inches tall, not including its pot. The ornaments on it are from Ohio, New Hampshire, Maine, and the Czech Republic. We think it's cute so positive comments only please. Thank you.

As I sit here contemplating our second Nativity celebration on the field I have to be honest that there are some delightful aspects and some less than optimal features. 

Our new home has us elevated well above the holiday hustle and bustle of the city. We had to prepare to ship our family presents well ahead of time so we haven't been engulfed by shopping fever. We're definitely looking forward to a quiet day to reflect on the incomparable gift of a Savior born in a stable.

The downside is that we don't have our family or any of our traditional decorations around us. The stockings my grandmother knitted are in storage. We will share our gift-opening fun with our grandchildren over skype where the hugs are not nearly warm enough. The distance can be difficult at times.

So where's the balance?
How do I/we decide if it's a good celebration or not? 

I realized today that my itty-bitty tree has the answer.


When I plug in the string of lights, the tree seems to come alive. The ornaments jump out to remind me of their significance. The variety and depth of the branches catch my attention. What was once a dark and cold image becomes a lively and warm delight.

So it is with my life. When I'm with Jesus the dark and cold becomes lively and warm. Hallelujah!

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

4 comments:

  1. Love the lights and your application! Thank you for being a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful observation. May you be strengthened in His peace and comforted by His joy as you do His will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I might add that it is indeed a very cute little tree. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your comments, Ladies. AND your prayers. To quote the words of Hark, the Herald Angels Sing written by Charles Wesley in 1839,
    Light and life to all He brings,
    Ris’n with healing in His wings.
    Mild He lays His glory by,
    Born that man no more may die.
    Born to raise the sons of earth,
    Born to give them second birth.

    ReplyDelete