Sunday, December 30, 2012

Believe it or Not

"I can't believe it." 

That's what Curt said when he realized the milk he'd just put into the combined ingredients was sour. Boy, could I relate.

It seems the physical world is my Achilles heel, the enemy's bullseye when he takes aim. It could be as simple as buying the 'perfect container' only to discover it's 1/8 inch too tall. Or it might be tearing out the hem of my skirt when it catches on the buckle of my boot. Who ever heard of that?

I'm not sure why these annoyances are so difficult for me, but they are. I'm able to rise above them for a while. Then I'm jerked backward as I pass through a doorway when the belt on my robe catches on the door knob. I'm jolted out of my comfort zone and the next round begins.

So here's the question, why is it that we "can't believe it"? 

I mean, I'm sure these disruptions happen to everyone. Why do they get us down? Why do they catch us off guard?

I'm starting to think that maybe I need to devote a little more time to remembering the state of the world in which I live. It's a fallen world, tainted by sin. 
"We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time". Romans 8:22  
Ah ha, so I'm not the only one who finds these aggravations groan-worthy. 

Maybe I should think about being more surprised and grateful when things do go according to my hopes or plans. Yes, that makes sense since Jesus is the One who directs it all. 
"The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word." Hebrews 1:3a

The verse continues, "After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven." Once Jesus accomplished His task in this fallen world He joined His Father above the fray. 

No wonder I so often feel out of step with my surroundings. I belong to Christ who sits enthroned above. 
"My Father, who has given them [my sheep] to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand." John 10:29

The fallen world doesn't even know Christ so why would 'it' know me? 
"He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him." John 1:10

Sin brought death into the world, but Christ brings life to all who are in Him. 
"For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ." Romans 5:17

Fallen world - things go wrong.
Christ reigns - heavenly peace.

Yup, it's time. Believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment