Thursday, July 25, 2013

How Is Your Delight Meter Doing?

It was only a quick trip ...

a dessert run for a house guest from Korea.

She said ice cream was her very favorite thing so we jumped on the metro and headed downtown. 

It was getting late and the heat of the day was beginning to ease as we pursued our goal.

We were surprised to find that our special shop had grown to three times its size. Besides a wide variety of ice cream flavors BOOM now offers cold drinks and other kinds of snacks. I prayed our new friend would really enjoy the refreshing treat.

We took our bowls and sat down at the little wooden outside tables. 

"What flavors did you choose?" The answers to that question led to sharing tastes back and forth. I smiled in pleasure that God had allowed us to touch the heart of His young servant.

Since it wasn't too late we asked Miss H if she would like to wander a little bit. When her eyes lit up we headed along the narrow street in synch with the other wanderers moving past the riotous procession of storefronts.

When the passageway opened up into Old Town Square we stepped back and let the eyes of this new visitor travel along the beautiful facades before us. She was appropriately impressed as we pointed out the intricacies of the Astronomical Clock.

We wound our way through the loose gathering of folks around us toward the center, the marker for the Prague Meridian. I silently asked God to alert Miss H to every single facet of the historic jewels arrayed before her. 

That's when I looked up at the view above. 

As usual my favorite building drew my focused attention.

The sights and sounds around me were stilled as my breathing slowed. 

My inner ear heard the Still Small Voice.

"Sandra, you're heart is overflowing with the desire to show your love for Me by serving others. I see it. I understand. It's time to stop and receive My love through the blessings I have for you in the midst of that service."

I was caught totally off guard. 

I suddenly realized I'd been shutting out every opportunity to delight in God or His loving gifts as I applied myself to the responsibilities I saw before me. My heart followed my eyes heavenward as I fell down in humble and grateful worship of my faithful Father.

Have you been caught in this cunning trap? Let's share strategies for how to avoid or break out of it.

Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says to them: See, I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. Because you shove with flank and shoulder, butting all the weak sheep with your horns until you have driven them away, I will save my flock, and they will no longer be plundered. I will judge between one sheep and another. I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd. I the LORD will be their God, and my servant David will be prince among them. I the LORD have spoken.
I will make a covenant of peace with them and rid the land of wild beasts so that they may live in the desert and sleep in the forests in safety. I will bless them and the places surrounding my hill. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing.
Ezekiel 34:20-26


No comments:

Post a Comment