Monday, July 1, 2013

How to Keep God Secrets


Before I get to the 'How to' portion of this post I want to make my subject clear.

I am NOT talking about keeping secrets FROM God. 

That idea itself is foolishness since God sees and knows all things. Job 37:16; Jeremiah 23:24; Hebrews 4:12,13

I am talking about keeping secrets WITH God.

By that I mean sharing solely with El Roi, the God who sees.

I've got a few reasons for suggesting such an exclusive relationship.

1) It seems that it's nearly impossible for a human being to truly keep a secret. There are some people who do a really great job of keeping information to themselves, but they're rare. In my 60+ years I've only found two or three.

2) When I'm sharing with a real confidante I admit that I tailor what I say based on our human relationship. Though I try to be as open and objective as possible I know it's still one subjective human sharing and another subjective human listening.

3) There are some things that no human ear needs to hear.

4) There are some things that only God can handle righteously.

Let me give you a for-instance, purely hypothetical of course.

You've picked up your husband's dirty socks for the umpteenth time. It's already been a miserable morning and you feel used and unappreciated. A friend calls or stops by and you just happen to mention how sick you are of cleaning up after another adult. Or worse, as you toss the socks into the laundry basket you voice your complaint loud enough for your children to hear. 

Or try this one.

You told your friend at least three times about the importance of being on time to pick up your child and they forgot. It was already a hectic day and you've got to rush over and collect her. As you explain to the teacher why you're late you make a comment about careless friends. Or worse, as you drive home you go on and on about your friend's thoughtless behavior.

I trust you get the idea, but if you want more examples send me a comment.

Numbers 12 communicates God's position on grumbling. Go ahead and read about Miriam and Aaron in their complaining against Moses.

James 5:9 is pretty clear on the subject too. "Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!"

My latest strategy to erase this habit from my life is to have God Secrets.

1) I run to Him. (Some things MUST be shared or I'll explode.)

2) I tell Him what happened. (God already saw, but wants to hear from me.)

3) I tell Him how I feel. (I can't fool God on any front so I might as well be honest.)

4) I refuse to tattle tale. (Others don't need to hear me vent the ugliness of my fallen nature.)

Jeremiah 29:11 has always been a favorite of mine.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I plan to commit the following two verses to memory.
"Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  Jeremiah 29:12,13

Care to add anything to my lists? I'm anxious to hear from you.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post, Sandra! Spotlighting it on the FOCB blog today. http://focbonline.blogspot.com

    Happy Blogging!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best line: "Others don't need to hear me vent the ugliness of my broken nature."
    This is the real deep truth of your post. We grumble and make remarks about other people because we still love self more than anybody else. We can go around saying how we love Christ, but every time we assault someone else in order to prop up our sense of injustice and abuse because someone else is broken, we give comfort to the Enemy. Not to mention how we lose the blessings we would receive if we could let go of self and care for others the way Jesus did. It should be pointed out that picking up dirty socks doesn't come close to being nailed to a cross. Can't we love someone else enough to get past dirty socks? or forgotten appointments? or ???
    Thank you for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine. It's a delight to know that you digested the point. Your insights are helpful.

      Delete