Monday, April 22, 2013

Comfort . . . COMFORT

When I'm in hard times I find myself thinking of Jesus posed as this modern day shepherd. 

I yearn with expectation for Him to come out into the wasteland and rescue me. 

I am content to picture my Shepherd ignoring the needs of others to care for me alone, sheltering me from every hardship and sensitivity in His loving arms.

I've had confidants encourage me to "climb into Jesus' lap and rest". 

I've often found these images comforting. Maybe their sweet and tender softness comes to us because we're ladies. 

But not today!

Today I call out with David for a different kind of comfort. 


This artist's imagination captures the essence of my prayers in the midst of the spiritual battle. 

Savior, please step into the hand-to-hand combat on my behalf. Oppose those who oppose me. 

Wield Your sword and shield to block their attacks.

Show Yourself as this type of conquering warrior.

Make Your presence and power known to all. 

You are my only salvation. Amen

Psalm 35 NIV, 1984

Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me;
fight against those who fight against me.
Take up shield and buckler;
arise and come to my aid.
Brandish spear and javelin*
against those who pursue me.
Say to my soul, "I am your salvation."

*Or and block the way

No comments:

Post a Comment