Thursday, April 18, 2013

Out of the Gray Envelope

One of the things I've noticed about myself is that when something I'm used to having around is missing for a while I appreciate and enjoy it all the more when it re-appears. 


Know what I mean?


Take sunshine for example. 

I wrote about Cloud Out a while back and it was a glorious experience. Right after I wrote that post sky-blocking clouds moved back in and re-enveloped us in the gray that's been our environment for months. 

It continued that way for several more seemingly endless weeks to the day this photo was taken. 

I trust you can tell how joyful we were. We grabbed our lunch and dashed to the balcony. We didn't even take time to bring up the proper outdoor seating, opting instead to simply set out our dining room chairs. That's how much we appreciated the sunshine and its accompanying warmth. 

We even took some extra time to worship the One who not only made the sun but caused it to shine on us that particular day. 

Hallelujah to the goodness of God!

The reappearance of the sun by day was matched by views of the moon. We've seen a lot of celestial wonders from our balcony, but I don't think I appreciated or enjoyed any of them as much as I did the sliver of light that gave testimony to the disappearance of the clouds last night.


An interesting application comes to mind. 

My usual, comforting sense that God is near has been missing for a while now. My mind remains convinced of the Truth, but my heart has been covered with joy-blocking challenges and frustrations for months. My spiritual life has been enveloped in gray for seemingly endless weeks. 

Today, this very morning, God spoke to my heart in my re-dedicated morning devotions. He reminded me of His gracious care for those who belong to Him through Psalm 34:17,18.

Once again I rejoice in the faithfulness of God, the assurance of His presence, and the security of His plan for my life. These simple words can not describe the Hallelujah my heart is singing!

"Even now," declares the LORD, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and  mourning." Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity. Joel 2:12,13 (NIV 1984) 

Wherever you are today, in the gray envelope or under sunny skies, God is there.


No comments:

Post a Comment