Thursday, August 22, 2013

From the Simple to the Complex


One of the things I've been noticing about my life lately is that I'm finding the simple task of telling the time a bit more . . . shall I say frustrating.

I realize that there are a number of contributing factors.

1. We live in Europe where a lot of folks use the 24 hour clock.
This is all well and good for anyone like my husband who's developed the skill of knowing what hours above 12 mean. I continue to get caught trying to figure out what readouts on our stove clock such as 17.17 mean. 
(Now come on and admit that looks odd to you too.) 

2. We live in the Central European Summer Time zone (UT+5) while our children and grandchildren live in the Eastern Daylight Savings Time zone (UT-1).
This means our clock needs to read 19.00 when we Skype while their clocks would be reading 13.00. Every week I get countless opportunities to check and translate the time as we look forward to chatting with our family.

3. We live in a different time zone than many friends around the globe. 
That means I might be writing to someone when they're eating breakfast as I'm preparing dinner. It's even happened that I've been messaging with someone who's actually living a different day than I am.

4. We live in a place where a different language predominates.
Sometimes when I'm able to translate the hour I may not be sure what day of the week or what month is being announced. That can cause frustration with transportation and/or events.

All in all, what used to be a simple task has become quite complex. 

You know, that's kind of like my spiritual life. At first it seemed pretty simple: love Jesus, keep paddling. Then a lot of twists and turns in the river made it more complex: direction, goals, children, grandchildren, maturity, relationships, jobs, churches, languages, cultures, . . . . 

The level of frustration rose from something like trying to tell time on a 24 hour clock to not having a clue what day or year it might be. That's when The Savior stepped in.

[Jesus] said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority."  Acts 1:7

It's okay that I don't know exactly when and how everything is going to happen or work out. It's even okay that I don't know when one detail will fall into place or become irrelevant.

As a matter of fact, I discovered King David was in the same boat and his response is the one I need to adopt.

My times are in your hands  Psalm 31:15a

Thank you, Almighty, Most High God. Your Truth has once again met me and brought my heart to rest in faith and trust. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment