Thursday, October 31, 2013

Life on the Go

I'm sitting in the midst of a pile of clothes as I write - literally.

Actually, we've got piles of his clothes, her clothes, and our stuff. 

We planned to go to the States this month to visit family, but now we've got an entirely different agenda. Questions rise.

How long will we be there? What will our days be like? Where will we stay? What will we need or want? When will we return home to Prague?

I'm beginning to think God's got me in the classroom titled The Unknown. 

The Father surely knows facing The Unknown is one of my weakest points. My first reaction is that since I don't know any details I will most likely not survive what's going to happen. In order to counter that irrational thought my mind and body shift into overdrive to do everything possible and/or imaginable to keep whatever The Unknown is from taking place OR at least from allowing it any sway in my life. 


I plot and plan and scurry all over the place doing my very best to turn aside, soften, or neutralize any and every facet of the events that threaten my equilibrium. 


To say it's exhausting is an understatement of the highest magnitude. And now that I've been in this mode for more than a month I'm beginning to consider that the position may need to be reconsidered.


By God's perfect timing, I recently saw an offer for a free kindle version of a book. I've made a commitment not to spend any money on downloadable books so the word FREE caught my eye. At the time I made a joke about the title written by Randy and Nanci Alcorn possibly being appropriate, Women Under Stress.   I think God has a rather dry sense of humor.

I finally ran out of things to read yesterday so I bravely opened to page 1.

There's a lot of information; statistics, personal stories, even exercises to evaluate the amount of stress the reader may be carrying. No, I will not tell you that my score was well over the health risk level. I admit it has grabbed my attention.

BUT more than all the general information, the Scriptural insights are having an impact on this thick skull. Chapter 4 is an excellent example, How God Uses Stress for Your Good and His Glory. A lot of the verses that are quoted are ones that have appeared on this blog. The way the authors are putting them together though builds a stronger, more coordinated and intricate framework . . . or bulwark. 

It feels as if Jesus is calling me to bow my head afresh and settle His yoke on my shoulders that I might learn about and take on an entirely new perspective of life in this fallen world. 

Aaaaagh, STILL MORE IN THE CLASSROOM OF THE UNKNOWN.

ONE THING I know for sure, this path of struggles and tears, trials and fears will draw me closer to my God. How do I know? Because I know enough to know that looking into His face, meditating on who He is, and contemplating His powerful and active love for me is the only way I'll survive. 

The Father is confirming this Truth through another resource He brought into my life. A Mighty Fortress is Our God is a series Nancy Leigh DeMoss is conducting at Revive Our Hearts. The title of the first program is what caught my attention, When Your World is in a Tailspin. The insights into the Psalm below are feeding my soul.


Of course every day life does not slow down or stop for us to move into such perspective shifts, especially not when it includes cross-cultural living and international travel. The piles are still in front of us.



  • The cardiac surgery is ahead of us. 
  • The plane will likely leave on time.
  • The things that need to happen between now and then have to be accomplished.
  • Our energy was sapped a bit extra last night with the final game of the World Series.
  • Hallelujah! God is still on His throne and all is RIGHT with the world.

The word 'thankful' arises again as we look forward to our friends from Brno arriving tomorrow to help us get all our things into two reasonable size suitcases. I'm thinking we may have to go through and put some items back on our shelves or in our closets. One way or another it will happen.

We'll make our way as God guides and enables us.
I pray the same is happening in your life. Amen

Psalm 46

For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah.
According to alamoth. A song.

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, 
though the earth give way 
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the moutains quake with their surging.  Selah

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.  Selah

Come and see the works of the LORD,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields with fire.
"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations.
I will be exalted in the earth."

The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.  Selah

2 comments:

  1. When we feel like we won't make it through the trial(s) we face, when we feel like we can't take any more, God demonstrates His power through us when we lean on him. Although it looks like all is failing and falling apart, that we don't have it in us to get through the overwhelming adversity, when we turn to God, He shows us that we CAN get through, and we CAN handle so much more than we ever thought possible. Lean heavily on Him who already knows the end of this chapter.

    ReplyDelete