Sunday, March 15, 2015

Homicide on Loon Pond?


I feel like my life is slipping away.


I wonder.

Could speed be killing me?


This is a serious question I'm asking myself these days.


I'm not suggesting I'm a speed freak, a person addicted to amphetamines. 

As a matter of fact, I don't take any drugs of any kind. Praise God.



I'm not referring to the idea I'm a speed demon, addicted to high speed travel. 

The needle on my speedometer does hover near the number on the sign.




I'm talking about being a speed liver, addicted to speeding through life.

My days are particularly busy right now. I'm pulled in several directions and important deadlines are fast approaching. I realize schedules may get hectic from time to time. But when I stop and consider, it seems I've been running for months.

It's not helpful for me to throw up my hands and say the culture is forcing me to be occupied from morning 'til night. Instead I want to be aware of how my surroundings affect me, and adjust accordingly.

For example, it was a restful Sabbath morning when I realized I needed to drag a log out of the wood stove. I grabbed a bucket and filled it with water as quickly as possible. I donned my Honey's heavy work gloves, grabbed the non-burning end, and dropped the log into the bucket.

It seems I'm able to hurry when necessary even if the atmosphere around me is calm. 

So why is it so hard to slow down?

I suppose one reason could be that my personality combines with the culture. Checking things off my To Do List delights me. The problem is I keep adding more items. 

Maybe the reason is I care about people. I like to do whatever I can to cheer them up or encourage them on their way. That's enough to keep anybody busy 24/7.

Then again, my caring can lead me to lose track of myself and my priorities. I've been noticing that happening quite a bit lately.

What if God has the answer? Could I ... should I be drawing closer to Him to find it? 

That makes a lot of sense since God's the One who made me and has laid out my life.

Time to get serious.


1. I'm going to get up earlier each morning to spend more quality time with my Savior.

2. I'm going to pour out my heart to Him about  this addiction to speed.

3. I'm going to plead with Him to infuse me with His will and power.

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."  Psalm 90:17

"Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting is my life."  Psalm 39:4

How about you? Are you being worn down by a hectic schedule?
I invite you to join me in pursuing God for His answer to the speed liver dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment