Thursday, November 28, 2013

Here but Not Here


The LORD knows what He's doing. I certainly do not.

Born and raised in New England,

lived by far the majority of my 66 years within the borders of the United States of America,

and yet somehow I feel as if New Hampshire is a foreign land. 


Yes, yes, I know that I've lived a long time, 

the pace of change in the world seems to be increasing,

and I've been based in Europe the last two years.

But those reasons don't seem adequate when I interface with the culture.

I'm overwhelmed by the kinds of products available in stores that I've never seen before.

I struggle with the decision making I have to do at the grocery store - sheer numbers, ingredients, price, etc.

I have to ask how to do basic activities - fee, best locations, etc. for using an ATM card.

I sense an even more serious threat against the family in almost every cultural aspect.

Neither Curt nor I seem to be able to sort our way through the medical world maze.

We have evidently become triangles caught between two nations of squares and circles.

What joy there is in being with the family God has ordained for us. There's a grounding that takes place when we're together, a secure familiarity that brings peace.

We are deeply grateful on this Thanks-giving Day for the way God intervenes in our lives and draws us close together. 
(MIssed you Sunnie but hope to see you before long.)

Perhaps all of these conflicting experiences and emotions are what caused me to connect so completely with the words that describe God's plan to return His people from Babylon where He'd exiled them.

"See, I will bring them from the land of the north 
and gather them from the ends of the earth.
Among them will be the blind and the lame, 
expectant mothers and women in labor, 
a great throng will return.
They will come with weeping;
they will pray as I bring them back.
I will lead them beside streams of water
on a level path where they will not stumble,
because I am Israel's father,
and Ephraim is my firstborn son."  Jeremiah 31:8-9

The Father would bring His people back to the place they were from, but they were driven to prayer as they were overwhelmed to the point of tears. 

And so I too find myself falling down in supplication as I am overcome by emotion.

Where are you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment