Saturday, November 23, 2013

How Thursday Became Saturday

This time I claim a whirlwind.

That's right, a whirlwind.

It wasn't the most destructive kind, but it made a shamble of the tentative routine we've been enjoying and sent us scurrying to keep our balance.

We wracked our brains and made lists for each other.

We packed as many tasks into the day as we could and that did not include preparing a post.  

The idea that gripped us was that we might have to wait several months for Curt's cardiac surgery. 

If that were the case, we thought we might as well wait out the time in Prague and the most efficient way to do that would be to take the pre-planned flight that takes off 25 November, this coming Monday.

Necessities outlined by our daugthers:
1) 100% approval from Curt's cardiologist to wait and travel to Prague in the meantime.
2) 100% assurance that Medi-Gap insurance coverage is in place before leaving.

We understood and appreciated their perspective and agreed to meet their criteria.

Yes . . . a whirlwind of prayers and thoughts and activities . . . a definite whirlwind.

As we scurried here and there I said to my Honey, "It feels like we're living in a pinball machine." 

Ever since Curt got sick our life seems to be ricocheting around like the steel ball that's been shot out onto the playing field. 

Circumstances interrupt or we make decisions that set us on a certain course.  

We do our best to adjust to the new direction only to get caught in one of the holes or diverted by one of the posts that set off blinking lights. 

All the thought and energy we applied is lost and we're forced to recalculate using the new route before us.

To carry on the analogy, we're thankful all over again that God's hands were on the flippers!

On Friday morning we decided that we couldn't take the stress of trying to tie up every loose end in order to fly out in three days. We breathed a sigh of relief as we forged ahead with the events of that day.

We had to give up a visit with dear friends we've been trying to see since we arrived. When I made the call with the sad news I told my friend I was beginning to feel as if it might be easier not to make any plans at all than to face the disappointment of having to cancel them. I was blessed by her understanding and willingness to look to the LORD for an opportunity to see each other.

Of course it's silly to think we can live without making any plans. The very nature of the world requires that we look ahead and make the most of each day. I need and want to be ready for all that the Father has planned for me both now and in eternity.  It takes a lot of dedication and courage to forge ahead in these trying times, the kind you are facing along with us. 

I'm happy to report that when we submit to God's will there are blessings all along the way. For example, the fully packed day we had yesterday included an invitation to a delightful gathering. (see photo below)  Had we stuck to our original plan or even the short-lived one to fly back home on Monday, we would not have been able to respond with the resounding, "Yes, we'd love to."

I'm learning!!!!!

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."  Proverbs 16:9

The best part . . . the really good news, if you will, is that

in spite of the whirlwind

in the midst of bouncing around like a pinball

God is granting us joy upon joy.

Last night we attended the Varsity Soccer Awards Banquet at Goffstown High School. We went to rejoice in the accomplishments of our oldest and tallest (for now) grandson, William James Baggs III. 

His prowess on the field was rewarded, but it is his growth in godly character and stature that we celebrate. 
Thank you, God, for William!!

THE WINNER for the best reason for the delay of this post is that we get to tell you the latest and greatest news yet.

We received a phone call this morning from my Honey's cardiologist. Dr. Lockhart says Curt's "survival definitely would not be enhanced by open heart surgery." The other, less-invasive therapies are preferable so that is what we will pursue.

Of course Dr. Lockhart could not guarantee that another cardiac episode would not occur, but he is encouraged by my Honey's lack of ongoing symptoms and increasing strength.  He went on to tell Curt that he needed to "live life" and cleared him to fly back to Prague if that's what our plan for recovery includes.

What does that mean for our schedule?  For now we have no idea.

1) We now have confirmation that Curt can travel. 
2) We have to wait until Wednesday for confirmation from the insurance company. 

So for now we sit and wait on the hand of the LORD

(Well, there are about a million other items we need to take care of around here.)

And as we wait, we choose to follow Paul's instructions.

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"  Philippians 4:4

Please rejoice with us, lifting your hearts and voices high with praise.  Amen


  1. Praise God from whom all blessings flow, praise Him all creatures here below, praise Him above ye heavenly host, praise Father Son and Holy Ghost.
    So excited for you both. Much love, PW and Sherry

    1. Amen
      That's the best response to this glorious doxology.
      Thank you.

  2. Glad to hear Curt's good news. I'm friends with Bethany, and we've been praying for your family. Also wanted to introduce myself to you as my daughter is about to begin seminary to prepare to be a church planter, and her heart is for Prague - so perhaps at some point in a couple of years, she will be joining you on the mission field there!

    1. That would be marvelous, Felicia. We appreciate your prayers and would welcome your daughter as a guest in our home in the Lord's timing.