Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Snow White, Laundry, Luxury

It was time! 

I went into the bedroom and took the cases off the pillows. I pulled the sheets from the bed and threw everything into the laundry basket. 

"Heigh Ho. Heigh Ho. It's off to work I go."

I put the sheets in the washing machine and headed off to get out another set. The fresh bedding was tucked in place and I exalted.

I put my hands on my hips and nodded my head in delight. 

"What L-U-X-U-R-Y."

Huh? 

I would have had that same reaction, if I hadn't been living with me in this sixth floor flat for the last 13 months. Here's the background.

We don't have a clothes dryer. It's not a big deal. We even prefer to air dry our clothes. It's just that winter weather is not very conducive to fabric losing its moisture. 

Last winter I had . . . (Shall I use the proverbial word? Yes, why not.) . . . an interesting go of it when it came to laundry, and sheets were the highlight.

Since we only had one set of bed linens I had to make sure to strip the bed and get them into the washing machine the very first thing in the morning. It was really important for me to keep one ear tuned to the washer so that as soon as it shut off I could get the sheets out and hanging. Even then the conditions were usually not adequate to dry them in time to re-make the bed. 

My clever little brain came up with the idea of draping the sheets and pillow cases on the radiators to complete the job. Thankfully that task was relatively easy since we didn't have any furniture to block access to our 'stable drying apparatus'. Week in and week out we would have a lovely montage of fabric collages decorating our living space. 

"O the days!"

But now, today, I revel in having an inventory of our former 'spare sheets' brought back from the USA. It's probably just as well we don't need the radiators to dry our bed clothes any more because the furniture God has given us would make it difficult to spread items on them. 

"Luxury of Luxuries!!"

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."  Ephesians 3:20,21

No comments:

Post a Comment