Monday, May 6, 2013

Good Ole What's Her Name


I probably met her numerous times before, but I didn't remember her name.

I gotta admit that I never thought twice about what people called her.

After all, she was just a servant. 

And yet, somehow, the name of the maid who failed in her duties is recorded in history.

I mean, how could that happen? 

The girl's behavior was so outlandish that those around her declared, "You're out of your mind."

How could it be that a lowly door keeper who didn't open the door for a special guest gets to be named when so many seemingly more significant others remain nameless?

I don't know the precise reason, but Rhoda is my new best friend.

You see, I identify with this servant girl. 
I have a list of mundane tasks that fill my days as I seek to serve my Master with diligence, love, peace, and joy.

I too fail in my duties.
Every day (often every hour or moment to be honest) I find myself heading in the wrong direction or flagging in my efforts.

I've heard similar words. 
The sting of such condemnation and disapproval when I'm out of step with those around me takes its toll and I question.

Who am I that anyone would find me or my service valuable or noteworthy - now or ever?

The answer is as simple as the nose on my proverbial face.

God.

His infallible Word tells me that as surely as God knew the name of the servant girl who was too excited to open the door for Peter He knows and calls me by my name. Acts 12:13, John 10:3 

The indescribable truth is that the same God who recorded the name of my new best friend in His Holy Word and protected it across the ages recorded my name in the Book of Life for all eternity. Ephesians 1:4, Revelation 21:27

Thank you, God. Thank you for making yourself known to me by introducing Rhoda and Sandra. May your Name be exalted and hallowed in all the earth. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment