Thursday, May 16, 2013

Raid of the 'Not MEs'

When we were raising our children the 'Not MEs' visited regularly. Whether it was a toy left out or a missing last cookie the cry was heard, "Not ME. Nope, not ME!"

Apparently there were outsiders who would sneak into the house when my back was turned and undertake all kinds of dastardly deeds. Funny, I was never able to catch one.

Maybe that's why I heard their names called the other day.

I'd noticed that morning that the container of dish soap was nearly empty. I reminded myself as I set out to make lunch that I needed to refill it. 

I pulled out the large jug under the sink and reached for the squeeze bottle. It was as full as it is in this photo. 

In my surprise I called out, "Hey, who refilled the dish soap?"

The old refrain was heard anew, "Not ME. Nope, not ME!"

I had to chuckle. Did my Honey really think I'd fall for that old trick? After all, there are only two of us here now. Besides, refilling the container was a blessing to me - a good deed. 

He came out of his office and I thanked him for his kindness. We spent a few minutes reminiscing about the days of the 'Not MEs' when responsibility was hard to pin down. 

This time around the prompt for their appearance was a positive one. I began to consider what the results of a raid by biblical 'Not MEs' might look like. Have you seen anything like this lately?

"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture."  Psalm 37:3

"She [wife] brings him [husband] good, not harm, all the days of her life."  Proverbs 31:12

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."  Micah 6:8

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."  Galatians 6:9,9

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."  Luke 6:27,28

"Test everything. Hold on to the good."  1 Thessalonians 5:21

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."  Ephesians 2:10

No comments:

Post a Comment