Thursday, May 23, 2013

Socks for Holiness!

It wasn't a pretty sight. 

The tip of my toe was sticking out of one of my favorite socks. 

Well, they weren't so much my favorites as they were the ones on my feet so I'd have to go put on a new pair.

Drat!

As I pondered my wiggling tootsie I started to think about hole-i-ness and holiness. 

I know that holiness is the goal God sets before me.

"Be holy, because I am holy." Leviticus 11:44,45; 19:2; 1 Peter 1:16 (NIV, 1984)

But being holy sure isn't as easy as poking my toe through my sock. That kind of hole-i-ness seems to simply appear on its own without any effort on my part. Maybe now and then I feel my toe rubbing on the inside of my shoe while I'm walking along, but that's all. No pain.

God's kind of holiness is quite different. 

"Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.  Hebrews 12:10,1114 (NIV, 1984)

I have to admit that the kind of work it takes to yield my will to God's can be pretty painful at times. It's downright difficult to have my wants go unmet and my ways fall apart even if they are frivolous and selfish . . . even when I'm thankful they crumble because I know they don't feed my deepest desire which is to please God.

Hallelujah, it's God's process toward God's goal. 

"Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."   Hebrews 12:10,1114 (NIV, 1984)

I thank God that He's in charge of the holiness transformation in my life. That means that every aspect of His perfect character is being applied to making me fit to spend eternity with Him. It's not as easy as putting a hole in my sock, but the rewards are much greater.

This is an undertaking I can really get on board with. Let's go, God!

"Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord."  Hebrews 12:14 (NIV, 1984)

Maybe it would be helpful if I wear socks with holes in them all the time. At least then I'd have a steady reminder about where I'm headed. 

OR maybe I should go around collecting hole-y socks so I can pass them out at churches to remind all of God's people about His goal for us. I could even make a sign, "Socks for Holiness".

Yeah, now that's an idea. 

How about you? What suggestions do you have for promoting holiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment