Thursday, May 2, 2013

More Accurate than Punxsutawney Phil


It's been a long time since we've seen the sun over the City of a Hundred Spires. 


And not only have the skies been cloudy, gray blockades against the sunshine. 


They've also kept the temperatures pretty low throughout the month of April.

To give you an idea, two days ago I had to wear my pile-lined winter boots in order to keep my legs warm. 

No joke!

The plants aren't even growing and blossoming properly. The tulips in the flowerbeds around the traffic circle in our neighborhood have sprouted a few limp green leaves and that's all - no buds to be seen.

So . . . if you can't see the sun and the gardens aren't giving proper signals, how do we know it's spring? 

The dates on the calendar are supposed to answer that question. Right now I'm wondering if I should be measuring any seasons by those little blocks. After all, it's been acting like winter outdoors since well before December 21. 

In case you're looking for a surefire way to mark the change to the season that's supposed to lead up to and prepare us for summer, I can help you.

I woke up a couple of days ago and prepared breakfast in the usual fashion - set the water to boil, take out the frying pan and an egg, put the bread in the toaster. I laid out the silverware and plates, drinks and napkins before the toaster popped. 

I went over, took out the toast, and grabbed the knife. Whoa!! Man, that baby just slipped right through the butter. It actually clunked on the dish underneath. I was so surprised I straightened up and stepped back.

I called out to my Honey. "Hey, the butter's soft enough to spread. It sure must've been warm overnight."

I smoothed the butter over the bread and the ease of that task caused my thoughts to fall into place. 

"I guess it really must be spring after all."

You know, this all reminds me that I need to keep my eyes peeled for the signs God provides. They're just the ones He promises and they always appear at the perfect time and place. 

Not only that, God's signs are also the ones I for sure do not want to miss. How about you?

"Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel."  Isaiah 7:14

No comments:

Post a Comment