Monday, May 20, 2013

How to Beat Insomnia

Maybe like me, you've been fighting a long-time battle with insomnia.

Or maybe you only hear the clashing swords from time to time.

I do better on some nights than others, but I had a string of losses last month. 

Not sure why it takes me so long to remember to turn to the Source of all wisdom and power. 

Never mind. I made it there finally and the insight is worth sharing.

Actually, I'm not even going to take the time to tell you the way I came upon this clever little strategy. I'd have to chalk it up to the Holy Spirit anyway so that's the short and true explanation.

When I find myself struggling to go to sleep (or drop off again) I make the effort to turn my mind and heart toward God through His Word. Lately I've been meditating on Psalm 23. It's been going something like this.

THE LORD is my shepherd ...
     The One and Only, above all others in every way . . . 

The LORD is my shepherd ...
     The Reigning Creator and King of all that exists . . .

The LORD IS my shepherd ...
     God was from the beginning and is ever-present . . .

The LORD is MY shepherd ... 
     God called me to Himself and I am part of His flock . . .

The LORD is my SHEPHERD ...
     God cares for me as a shepherd, guiding with love and security . . .

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
     God grants me personally the privileges of a daughter . . . 

The LORD is my shepherd, I SHALL not want.
     God oversees every detail of the future He has planned for me . . . 

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall NOT want. 
     God will say 'yes' and 'no' to me according to His perfect will . . .

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not WANT.*
     God intends to bar any unmet needs from my life as I trust . . .

I've never been able to complete this careful review and expansion through verse 6 before falling asleep. The LORD's Truth settles my mind and heart and causes me to relax in His everlasting arms. 

Next time you're struggling on the field of sleep-defying warfare, give this idea a try and let me know how the Great Shepherd of the Sheep answers. Thank you.

*Psalm 23:1  (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment