Monday, May 13, 2013

Whatcha Done for Me Lately?


"He is your praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes." Deuteronomy 10:21 NIV 1984

Some would say these words were recorded in an ancient setting. Since Deuteronomy is in the Old Testament, that’s true. 

Others would say the verse refers to some of the most amazing events ever recorded. Since they include God rescuing His people from the grip of Egyptian slavery and having them cross the Red Sea on dry land, that’s true too.

I've been pondering a more personal impact in these historic words. Since they are God-breathed and have been retained for my benefit, I want to mine their treasures.

I notice that when I read of a miraculous happening in Scripture, I marvel at all that God can do. It might be His tender care of an orphan like Esther that results in an expression of His power in the lives of a nation. It might be the way He restores a woman like Naomi from abject abandonment to a secure family embrace.

I find these biblical accounts of the Father's omniscient omnipotent ways inspiring. But I don't need to settle for what happened in the Old and New Testament though it's pretty amazing stuff. My own life carries the mark of God's gracious redemptive work.

I'm a sinner saved by grace out of a life of distress and dissipation. I have a 45-year strong marriage to a man of integrity provided at a time I did not acknowledge God's love or sovereignty. Our family is a loving, growing blessing for which I can claim no credit. There are marvels galore in the paths I've walked and continue to negotiate.

Even beyond these monumental gifts, there are the so called "little things" that happen throughout my days. The sometimes-but-not-always-subtle incidents that I somehow seem to forget to cherish.

There's the apartment we secured the third day after we arrived in Prague, the sunsets we enjoy over our balcony railing that take away my breath, our weekly skype visits with our grandchildren that delight my heart, the Rye Krisps I discovered at our regular grocery store after weeks of searching, the local body of saints where I settle into worship, and the moment my Honey caught my arm before I stepped out in front of a tram. 

Whenever I consciously choose to stop and revel in God's goodness to me and the reality that I deserve not one whit of all the intimate and active love He lavishes on me, I am overwhelmed. My heart responds with humble adoration. 

The words of Moses certainly reach far beyond Old Testament times. They call out to all of us to remember who God is and to ponder the "great and awesome wonders" He's performing in our lives, the ones we see with our own eyes.

What wonders have you seen lately?

"He is your praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes." Deuteronomy 10:21 NIV 1984  [emphasis mine]

No comments:

Post a Comment